Shipping & Returns
ALL ORDERS SHIP FROM THE ADAFRUIT FACTORY, NEW YORK, NY, USA. WE SHIP FAST!
Processing & Shipping times
Orders usually ship within 1-2 business days. With the DHL Express Worldwide, UPS 3 Day Select, 2nd Day Air, and Next Day air shipping options, orders placed by 11am ET during weekdays usually ship same day. When you place your order, please allow time for processing in addition to the time it takes for the box to get to you once it has shipped. Once we ship your order, we'll email you tracking information. You can also check your order status from within your Adafruit account.
Keep in mind, service guarantees are suspended if delays are caused by bad weather or other disasters. We cannot refund shipping fees if your package arrives late due to snow or other natural disasters including meteors, aliens, terrorism, incursions from other dimensions, etc. anywhere along your package's route.
We do not ship to hotels or mail forwarders. We may not be able to ship to PO Boxes depending on location or if there are known issues with the location. Not all shipping options are available to all locations. If shipping / billing names do not match or the payment method is outside the USA we may cancel the order - please review the distributors in your area.
Overseas Military Mail
We ship free to U.S. Military APO/FPO addresses via USPS Priority mail. So no tracking, but, also, free. Make sure to enter city as APO or FPO and for state choose AA, AE or AP from the dropdown menu. And to make things really precise enter your full name, grade, and PSC or unit number.
To arrange for a return, use the contact form or email [email protected]. We can only accept returns of unopened kits and products, within 30 days of receipt (for international orders, 30 days from shipment). We will not accept returns of wearable PPE (masks, shields, gloves, etc.) and thermometers that require body contact. We do not accept returns from AdaBox subscriptions. This applies to both items within the Box and the full Box. Any returns after 30 days are in store credit only if the return is approved in advance. All returns are credited as store credit upon receipt for international orders or for Paypal / Credit card orders after 30 days of payment. Returns for Purchase Orders are store credit only. There is a 5% re-stocking fee for orders returned valued at $500 or more. We do not accept any returns on orders that are over 6 months old. Customers are responsible for both the return shipping costs and shipping costs from the original order unless the product arrives damaged or defective. Please contact us before returning any package! We're reasonable people and we hope you are too! Contact us if you have any issues and we'll do our best to help you out!
Adafruit Industries uses four carriers, USPS (United States Postal Service), DHL (Dalsey, Hillblom and Lynn) and UPS (United Parcel Service) for shipping. USPS is traditionally cheaper and does not always provide detailed tracking. For domestic orders, UPS is sometimes faster and a little more expensive, but has a high-quality tracking system. (Tracking information is emailed when the package is shipped). Weekend delivery is not available. When in doubt about choosing a shipping method, we suggest DHL or UPS. DHL Express Worldwide is available to many countries across the globe. If DHL shipping is available to your location, the option will show at checkout.
For UPS shipping services, the actual weight of the package is rounded up to the next whole pound. Adafruit uses Dimensional weight, this reflects package density, which is the amount of the space a package occupies in relation to its actual weight.
USPS has experienced many slow downs and delays. We do not ship USPS to locations that have had known slow downs or issues.
We do not offer drop shipping or "blind shipment".
Domestic Shipping Options and Times
- USPS Ground Advantage™ is a low cost service only permitted for orders under $200. Delivery estimates range from 2-5 business days once shipped. Please note this is not a guaranteed delivery service and packages may take longer to arrive. Tracking is available and will be sent to you when your order ships.
- Priority Mail (USA) is now both guaranteed (up to $50) and trackable (package receives up to 8 scans during the shipping process). Priority mail ususally arrives within 3-5 business days once shipped. Priority Mail is only offered for domestic orders under $200.
- UPS Ground usually arrives within 3-5 business days once shipped.
- UPS 3 Day Select arrives by the end of the third business day once shipped.
- UPS 2nd Day Air arrives by the end of the second business day once shipped.
- UPS Next Day Air arrives by the end of next business day once shipped.
All of the quoted transit times are in business days, and do not include weekends, US holidays, etc.
International orders are shipped using DHL Express Worldwide (Dalsey, Hillblom and Lynn) and USPS (the US Postal Service). Packages shipped with USPS are handed off to your country’s postal service for 'door-to-door' delivery.
DHL Express Worldwide is available for orders shipping to Canada (1-3 business days), Europe (2-4 business days), as well as to select countries across the globe (2-5 business days). If DHL shipping is available to your location, the option will show at checkout. *Orders over $2,500 and/or orders with over 25 individual line items do not qualify for DHL DDP shipping options
- USPS First Class international is a low cost, untrackable service available for orders under $200. Once it’s been sent it’s out of our control. There is no way to track it and there is no proof of delivery or shipment. (That's why it’s so low cost!). It also doesn't have expedited brokerage, which means packages can "sit in customs" for up to 4-6 weeks. Although this is rare it does happen. Packages are sometimes not delivered at all (1% of cases), so this method is to be used at your own risk! Insurance is automatically calculated and added to your order. Lost package claims may be filed between 45 and 90 days after shipment. USPS First Class International is not a recommended service.
- Depending on locations DHL Express Worldwide is available. Some DHL Express shipments can be DDP (delivery duties paid), which means we charge all taxes upon checkout. However, your local customs office may require you to pay other types of fees; for example, authorization charges. There is no way for us to know about these other, non-duty related charges in advance. We are unable to provide a line by line breakdown of the duties paid upon checkout. Please contact your country's DHL office for that information. We highly suggest DHL for all international packages when available. Please note that all shipments entering India via DHL require KYC documents. The receiver is contacted and asked to upload the documents. Once the documents have been uploaded, the shipment continues with the clearance process and delivery.
- DHL Express Worldwide (Canada): 1-3 business days.
- DHL Express Worldwide (Europe): 2-4 business days.
- DHL Express Worldwide (All other International Locations): 2-5 business days.
You are responsible for any VAT, tariff, duty, taxes, handling fees, brokerage charges, customs clearance charges, etc. required by your country for importing consumer goods! All international shipments are eligible for these fees. There is no way for Adafruit (the shipper) to predict your country's customs/fee habits, so be prepared to pay full VAT on the fully declared value of your order as well as any customs fees your country's DHL, or postal system may charge you! There are some services that can estimate the duty/taxes, while they're not 100% accurate they can be helpful. Keep a printout of your email receipt as you may have to send a copy to your customs office or to the carrier. If you do not pay the required brokerage fees, VAT, tariff, duty, taxes, handling fees, customs clearance charges, etc - we cannot issue any refunds.
Our shipping system is completely automated, and we cannot falsify customs forms. The customs forms will accurately describe the contents and cost of your order. We cannot mark orders as "gift", "sample", "educational" or lower the values. Adafruit makes best efforts to follow all rules, regulations and laws for export compliance.
At this time Adafruit is shipping via DHL only to Australia. Please check the USPS site for updates.
Domestic Sales Tax
Domestic sales tax rates vary depending on location. Please email us at [email protected] if you have any questions about sales tax in a specific state.
To get sales tax exemption, first make an account on adafruit.com, then email [email protected] with the email address you used along with a fully-filled out copy of your most recent Tax Exempt Certificate, with our information included in the Seller Fields. Once we enter in the data, your orders will be tax exempt.
Some countries impose a VAT (value added tax) on international shipments. The tax is applied to the order total, generally on orders considered low value. Adafruit is required to charge the customer for tax when applicable. The details vary depending on the country.
Adafruit applies a 10% GST on all orders of low-value goods (goods valued at AUD 1,000 and below per shipment) being delivered to Australia. Customers who are exempt from this tax should reach out to [email protected] and provide their Australia Business Number (ABN) and confirm registration for GST.
As of July 1st, 2021, Adafruit applies a 15% GST on all orders of low-value goods (goods valued at 1,000 NZD and below, per shipment) being delivered to New Zealand. The GST rate will be applied to all items in the order priced below 1,000 NZD including shipping costs. GST charges will not be applied to orders placed for gift certificates but will be applied to orders placed for other virtual products. Customers who are exempt from this tax should create an Adafruit account and reach out to [email protected] with their tax exempt information.
Does Adafruit use ULINE packaging materials?