Ultimate GPS Module PA1616D - 99 channel w/10 Hz updates - MTK3333 Chipset
Product Images and Video
For those who want to integrate our awesome Ultimate GPS module into their own projects, we now have the raw sub-module available. Don't be fooled by its small size, this is a very sensitive, high-quality GPS module with all the extras you could want and more at under 6 grams!
As of August 2021, the original "Ultimate GPS" module we used was discontinued by the vendor. We found and are using a nearly-identical version of the module - it's a little taller (4mm) but has the same functionality. The commands for querying the antenna have changed slightly so existing projects may need to update their firmware.
It's got everything you want and more:
- -165 dBm sensitivity, 10 Hz updates, 66 channels
- Ultra-low power usage: 20mA current draw while tracking
- 3.3V operation,
- RTC battery-compatible
- Built-in datalogging
- PPS output on fix
- We have received reports that it works up to ~32Km altitude (the GPS theoretically does not have a limit until 40Km)
- Internal patch antenna + connection for optional external active antenna
- Fix status output
- Ultra small size: only 16mm x 16mm x 6.4mm
The breakout is built around the MTK3333 chipset, a no-nonsense, high-quality GNSS module that can track up to 33 satellites on 99 channels, has an excellent high-sensitivity receiver (-165 dBm tracking!), and a built in antenna. It can do up to 10 location updates a second for high speed, high sensitivity logging, or tracking. Power usage is incredibly low, only ~29 mA during navigation.
Two features that really stand out about the MTK3333-based module are the external antenna functionality and the built-in data-logging capability. The module has a standard ceramic patch antenna that gives it -165 dBm sensitivity, but when you want to have a bigger antenna, you can snap on any 3V active GPS antenna via the uFL connector. The module will automatically detect the active antenna and switch over! Most GPS antennas use SMA connectors so you may want to pick up one of our uFL to SMA adapters.
This item is just the GPS module itself, no breakout board or other components included. The module can be soldered by hand without too much difficulty, we have it in our Eagle Library (GPS_FGPMMOPA6H) to make it easy to use. If you're interested in getting started fast, check out our Ultimate GPS breakout board which comes all assembled and tested.
We have a nice fancy library for GPS usage for both Arduino and Python usage. A full tutorial is also available, which has tons of information about the module, how to use the data logger, example code for both CircuitPython & Arduino, and more.
- GPS + GLONASS supported
- Satellites: 33 tracking, 99 searching
- Patch Antenna Size: 15mm x 15mm x 4mm
- Update rate: 1 to 10 Hz
- Position Accuracy: < 3 meters (all GPS technology has about 3m accuracy)
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.1 meters/s
- Warm/cold start: 34 seconds
- Acquisition sensitivity: -145 dBm
- Tracking sensitivity: -165 dBm
- Maximum Velocity: 515m/s
- Vin range: 3.0-5.5VDC
- MTK3333 Operating current: 34mA acquision, 29 mA tracking
- Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default, 3V logic level out, 5V-safe input
- DGPS/WAAS/EGNOS supported
- AGPS support (Offline mode : EPO valid up to 14 days )
- Up to 210 PRN channels
- Jammer detection and reduction
- Multi-path detection and compensation
Product Dimensions: 16.0mm x 16.0mm x 6.4mm / 0.6" x 0.6" x 0.3"
Product Weight: 5.7g / 0.2oz
VCTEC KOREASouth Korea
Mouser ElectronicsUnited States
Digi-Key ElectronicsUnited States
See our Distributors page for a complete list of distributors.