Star Simpson's Circuit Classics Bargraph Voltage Indicator
Product Images and Video
Forrest M. Mims III is a trusted name in the electronics world for good reason: his charming and engaging texts have drawn millions of people into the world of electronics for the first time. Star Simpson has created an electronic tribute to those hand-drawn circuits by bringing the projects to life. These kits are an exquisitely designed series of finely crafted and highly detailed boards. These are the Circuit Classics. They make a great gift for a first-time learner, an expert tinkerer, or even just as a fun conversation piece for your desk.
This initial release includes three of Forrest’s circuit designs in kit form: the Dual-LED Flasher, the Stepped Tone Generator, and the Bargraph Voltage Indicator. Each kit includes:
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB): Includes the circuit itself, the circuit’s schematic, and a description of the circuit, all in Forrest’s iconic hand-drawn style, traced directly from his books. (Prototypes are OSHPark purple, but the final production run will be blue.)
- Through-hole Components: All the components you need to build a working circuit. Easy to place and solder on the PCB thanks to clear footprints and large, friendly solder pads.
- Display Stand: made of high-quality blond ash wood, each stand is crafted to let you proudly display your work.
This kit is the Bargraph Voltage Indicator. This circuit lets you become a scientist and an engineer and marks the passage of that important milestone of using tools you have constructed yourself. With this kit from Circuit Classics, you can measure batteries or use it to explore and understand other electronic circuits that you find in the world.
- 1 x Bargraph Voltage Indicator PCB
- 1 x Alcohol Prep Pad
- 1 x Battery Clip
- 1 x LM393N Integrated Circuit
- 8 x 1kΩ Resistor
- 1 x 100kΩ Potentiometer
- 4 x White LED
- 1 x Black Alligator Clip
- 1 x Red Alligator Clip
- 1 x White Alligator Clip
- 4 x Rubber Foot
- 1 x Wooden Stand
You'll need a couple of additional tools and materials in order to put this kit together: a soldering iron (like this one), and solder. You can use the included wooden stand to hold the board while you solder.
Please note: Batteries are not included in the kit! You can choose to use the provided alligator clips to hook up a 9V battery or power supply of your choosing, or you can assemble the SMT Battery Clip to the reverse side, in which case you'll want to pick up a 3V 2032 coin cell battery on checkout.
PCB Dimensions: 127.25mm x 89mm x 1.75mm / 5" x 3.5" x 0.06"
PCB Weight: 34.8g / 1.2oz