Adafruit WICED WiFi Feather - STM32F205 with Cypress WICED WiFi
Product Images and Video
Discontinued - you can grab Adafruit HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather Board instead!
Say "Hi!" to the WICED Feather! Perfect for your next Internet connected project, with a powerful processor and WiFi core that can take anything you throw at it - this Feather is WIC(K)ED AWESOME!
Feather is the new development board from Adafruit, and like its namesake it is thin, light, and lets you fly! We designed Feather to be a new standard for portable microcontroller cores. This is the Adafruit WICED Feather - it's our most powerful Feather yet! We have other boards in the Feather family, check'em out here.
The WICED Feather is based on Cypress (formerly Broadcom) WICED (Wireless Internet Connectivity for Embedded Devices) platform, and is paired up with a powerful STM32F205 ARM Cortex M3 processor running at 120MHz, with support for TLS 1.2 to access sites and web services safely and securely.
We spent a lot of time adding support for this processor and WiFi chipset to the Arduino IDE you know and love. Programming doesn't rely on any online or closed toolsets to build, flash or run your code. You write your code in the Arduino IDE using the same standard libraries you've always used (Wire, SPI, etc.), compile locally, and the device is flashed directly from the IDE over USB.
Since the WICED Feather is based on the standard Adafruit Feather layout, you also have instant access to a variety of Feather Wings, as well as all the usual standard breakouts available from Adafruit or other vendors.
After more than a year of full time effort in the making, we think it's the best and most flexible WiFi development board out there, and the easiest way to get your TCP/IP-based project off the ground without sacrificing flexibility or security. We even cooked in some built-in libraries in the WiFi core, such as TCP client and Server, HTTP client and server, and MQTT client (with easy Adafruit IO interfacing). It can even work with Amazon AWS IoT!
Please note: this is a really cool product but it's also very advanced and there may be firmware updates, tweaks and fixes as we have more people use it. For that reason we are calling this the Developer Edition! This chipset is not identical to the Arduino standard-supported Atmega series and many libraries that are written specifically for AVR will not compile or work with the STM32!
The WICED Feather has the following key features:
- Measures 2.0" x 0.9" x 0.28" (51mm x 23mm x 8mm) without headers soldered in
- Light as a (large?) feather - 5.7 grams
- STM32F205RG 120MHz ARM Cortex M3 MCU
- BCM43362 802.11b/G/N radio
- 128KB SRAM and 1024KB flash memory (total)
- 16KB SRAM and 128KB flash available for user code
- 16MBit (2MB) SPI flash for additional data storage
- Built in Real Time Clock (RTC) with optional external battery supply
- Hardware SPI and I2C (including clock-stretching)
- 12 standard GPIO pins, with additional GPIOs available via SPI, UART and I2C pins
- 7 standard PWM outputs, with additional outputs available via SPI, UART and I2C pins
- Up to eight 12-bit ADC inputs
- Two 12-bit DAC outputs (Pin A4)
- Up to 3 UARTs (including one with full HW flow control)
- TLS 1.2 support to access secure HTTPS and TCP servers
- On board single-cell LIPO charging and battery monitoring
- Fast and easy firmware updates to keep your module up to date
- Based on the excellent community-supported Maple project
Comes fully assembled and tested, with a USB bootloader that lets you quickly use it with the Arduino IDE. We also toss in some header so you can solder it in and plug into a solderless breadboard. Lipoly battery and MicroUSB cable not included (but we do have lots of options in the shop if you'd like!)
Our learn guide will show you everything you need to know to get your projects online, and connected to the outside world!
- 51.2mm x 22.8mm x 8mm / 2" x 0.9" x 0.28"
- Weight: 5.5g
- Datasheet, schematic, EagleCAD PCB files, and Fritzing available in the product tutorial
See our Distributors page for a complete list of distributors.