Need help with Wave Shield errors

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dr.casanova

Need help with Wave Shield errors

Post by dr.casanova »

Hello first time poster.

Straight to the point. My wave shield has problems compiling the daphc sketch. The error messages "'SD Reader', "FatVolume", FatReader, and WaveHC does not name a type keeps coming up. I've followed the directions completely and installed the WaveHC library versions wavehc20110919 (and wavehc20110508 later when i ran into issues) unzipped them and put them in the libaries sketch folder. I downloaded the SD formatter and formatted the SDHC card that was sold by your website. I've put the wav files on the card but nothing. I've checked to make sure that the libraries has every thing the code is looking for. But the error still persists. I know the directions, downloaded the zip and unzipped it, moved the file to libraries folder, rename and restart the program. I am using a macbook pro with the latest arduino program, and my arduino board is arduino uno with a 328 chip. i'm at the end of my rope please help.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Need help with Wave Shield errors

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like you may have an old version of the libraries somewhere.

One issue that might be biting you is an incompatibility between "what the Arduino IDE wants to see" and "how Github insists files should be named". The Arduino IDE doesn't recognize libraries in folders whose names contain dashes, Github demands dashes on folder names like "-master".

Check your "libraries" folder in your sketchbook for folders that have a dash in the name. If you find any, replace the dashes with underscores (which the Arduino IDE will accept).

If that doesn't do it, please post the first few lines of errors that you get from the compiler when it decides it doesn't want to play with you. Compile failures are like cartoons where one person in a brass band steps on a banana peel and the everything goes downhill from there. Only the location of the banana peel is important. The details of which trombone ended up in whose ear are superfluous.

dr.casanova

Post by dr.casanova »

Thank you so much for replying here is the first few lines of error code

Daphc:7: error: ‘SDReader’ does not name atype
Daphc: 8: error: ‘FatVolume’ does not name a type
Daphc:9: error: ‘FatReader ’ does not name a type
Daphc:10: error: ‘WaveHc’ does not name a type
Daphc:13: error: ‘dir_t’ does not name a type
Daphc: 22: error: variable or field ‘play’ declared void
Daphc: 22: error: ‘FatReader’ was not declared in this scope
Daphc: 22: error: ‘dir’ was not declared in this scope

Also note that i looked up in the skechbook library and i couldn't find FatVolume in the WaveHC folder

Here is the link where i got the library http://code.google.com/p/wavehc/
These errors appeared while compiling this specific library wavehc20110919.zip

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Okay, that's definitely a "can't find the library" issue. The folder named 'WaveHC' contains files named "SdReader.h" and "FatReader.h" which define the classes listed in the error messages.

That folder, "WaveHC", needs to be directly inside your "libraries" folder. The file you downloaded from Google Code has another folder containing other stuff, and if you put that whole thing into "libraries" you'll get exactly the kind of errors you're seeing.

dr.casanova

Post by dr.casanova »

Alright then, that clears stuff up a little. So, basically i have to take the WaveHC file and only move this specific file into my libraries while the Wav. files go into the SD card. Okay then. Still, did i even download the right library? Keep in mind that i was trying to do the digital audio player tutorial as seen through the link here http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/libraryhc.html And when i followed the link to download the library i was given this list of downloadable files here http://code.google.com/p/wavehc/downloads/list . The first file at the top of the directory is the correct one to use right? I wish it was easier to tell which of these files you are supposed to download. Otherwise people might get confused like i did.

Anyways thanks again.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The first file at the top of the directory is the correct one to use right?
Yes. You want WaveHC20110919.zip.
Inside that zip file you will find several folders, including one called WaveHC.
Copy the complete WaveHC folder into your sketchbook/libraries folder.

Close all open Arduino IDE windows, then restart the IDE. See here for more information on libraries: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all- ... nstall-use

dr.casanova

Post by dr.casanova »

Thank you! I finally got this thing to work. Now i can finally create that voice changer. Thanks again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”