Check out Pinoccio, a neat new open source, wireless hardware & software platform. Some highlights:
No cables, no cords. Pinoccio talks over wi-fi and runs on a long-lasting rechargeable LiPo battery. It’s also Arduino-compatible.
The Atmel 802.15.4 radio in the 128rfa1 chip we’re using has a ridiculously low power draw for the range you get. We can blast the radio non-stop at full power, and a 550mAh battery will power that (and the MCU) for something like 27 hours. It draws 17mA at full power radio, and the MCU in the highest power state. We wanted this sort of endurance while still remaining networkable. Thus this was the right package.
You can use the board non-stop at full power for around 27 hours. However, it’s more likely that you’ll put the board to sleep, and have it wake up when certain conditions are met. Using it this way, you could have a board run on one charge for months. This can vary a lot depending on how you’re using Pinoccio.
via Dangerous Prototypes
Update! Speaker list is posted! Hardware Innovation Workshop – Keynote & Featured Speakers.
- Chris Anderson, CEO of 3D Robotics and founder of DIY Drones
- Massimo Banzi, co-founder of Arduino
- Robert Faludi, co-creator of LilyPad XBee and Botanicalls
- Bunnie Huang, co-founder of Chumby
- Ben Kaufman, founder and CEO of Quirky
- Dave Merrill, co-founder and president of Sifteo
- Scott Miller, co-founder and CEO of Dragon Innovation
- Peter Weijmarshausen, co-founder and CEO of Shapeways
- Robert Stephens, founder of Geek Squad
- David Lang, co-founder of OpenROV
- Lisa Qui, co-founder of Nomiku
- Jay Silver, founder of Makey Makey
- Jeremy Conrad, co-founder of Lemnos Labs
- Eric Jennings & Sally Carson, co-founders of Pinoccio
- John Dimatos, Kickstarter
- Zach Smith, program director of HAXLR8R
- Zach Kaplan, CEO of Inventables
- John Park, chief marketing officer, AQS
- Nick Pinkston, founder of Plethora
- Kai Backman, co-founder of Airstone Labs
- Tim Chang, managing director of Mayfield Fund
- Eric Klein, entrepreneur-in-residence, Lemnos Labs