Buyer - Purchasing and Third-party Production Management
Adafruit is currently seeking to add an experienced Buyer and 3rd Party Production Manager to our Purchasing team. The primary responsibilities of this position are to monitor inventory numbers and lead times, manage buyer and vendor relationships when purchasing goods and ensuring the completion of those orders. The role will begin full-time and on-site with the possibility of partial remote work after training.
This role is a bit more advanced than a classic purchasing role as we have vendors use our specifications or CAD/CSV files to manufacture items and it’s vitally important that the correct files are supplied when booking the orders. There may also be the need to indicate appropriate alternate components based on availability so being able to look up components in our PLM system and correctly identify and provide the engineer-approved-alternatives. There will also be the need to determine and manage lead times and fluctuating prices for dozens of components and make sure they all arrive at the vendor. Being able to navigate, read, and understand spreadsheets is a key skill.
This is a hybrid onsite / WFH role while most of the tasks can eventually be completed as WFH, there will be tasks that require coming on site to check inventory, QA received products, and possibly help with packaging/shipping tester kits or consigned inventory.
Adafruit Industries LLC was founded in 2005 by MIT engineer Limor “Ladyada” Fried. Her goal was to create the best place online for learning electronics and making the best designed products for makers of all ages and skill levels. Adafruit manufactures many of our own products right here in our NYC factory where we have about 80+ employees.
Specific duties include:
Monitor stock numbers via internal PLM tools for assigned vendors
Create purchase orders (PO), submit POs to vendors upon owner’s approval and ensure the
completion of orders to shipment, QA and putting into inventory.
Communicate discrepancies with assigned vendors and determine next steps to resolve those
Create new SKUs and onboard new vendors
Ability to create shipping labels for vendors, UPS and DHL
Attend and participate in bi-weekly MRB meetings to assist in resolving open discrepancies
Monitor [email protected] emails for ETA and purchase requests from internal teams
Ability to pull weekly purchasing stats numbers
Complete revisions and change orders as needed
Add and verify invoices from vendors to completed POs
The ideal candidate should possess the following traits & skills:
- Knowledge of Adafruit internal systems (specifically PLM) and department workflows (specifically, Fabrication, Test & Prep, QA, Revisions and Receiving protocols)
- File management skills: navigating and manipulating spreadsheets, zip files, PDFs
- Steadfastness in the face of vendor errors
- Dogged fixation on resolving discrepancies and investigating “what is up with that thing”
- Ability to problem solve effectively and communicate well across teams
- Team and project management experience
- Great time management skills, ability to multitask, and high attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of Adafruit’s core beliefs and goals
- Salary range of $76K-$82K Bi-weekly pay plus opportunities for performance increases and bonuses
- Medical, Dental and Vision Healthcare
- Commuter Benefits
- 401k with matching
- Sick and Vacation time plus 10+ paid holidays
- PTO for volunteer work, blood donations and COVID testing, vaccinations and more.
Position is on site at Adafruit's New York location, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday.Adafruit is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all kinds of candidates.
If you are interested in this position please send an email with your resume to [email protected]