Onion Pi Pack with mini Wi-Fi - Make a Raspberry Pi Tor Proxy
Feel like someone is snooping on you? Browse anonymously anywhere you go with the Onion Pi Tor proxy. Using this pack of parts and a free weekend you can build a project that uses a Raspberry Pi, a USB WiFi adapter and Ethernet cable to create a small, low-power and portable privacy Pi.
After it's built, using it is easy-as-pie. First, plug the Ethernet cable into any Internet provider in your home, work, hotel or conference/event. Next, power up the Pi with the micro USB cable to your laptop or to the wall adapter. The Pi will boot up and create a new secure wireless access point called Onion Pi. Connecting to that access point will automatically route any web browsing from your computer through the anonymizing Tor network.
This pack comes with everything you need, $100 of parts for $90. We donate a portion of the sales to the EFF and Tor! Each order comes with:
- Raspberry Pi Model B - has an Ethernet port, two USB ports and 512 MB of RAM
- Adafruit Pi Case - Keeps your Pi cozy and safe
- Mini WiFi adapter - Good range, and a compact design, this will be how you connect to the Pi proxy
- 10 foot Ethernet cable - connect this from your Pi to a router with Internet service
- MicroUSB cable - 3 feet long, great for powering your Pi
- 5V 1A power adapter - specially designed for the Pi
- USB console cable - good for debugging and setting up your Pi when running it without a monitor/keyboard
- 4 GB SD Card with Wheezy - a 4GB card with Raspbian 7 already installed.
The Onion Pi logo shown above for display only, it's not a sticker or included.
You'll still need to set up the access point and Tor software according to our tutorial. This project is best used by people with a little bit of command-line, linux or Raspberry Pi experience. If you've set up a Raspberry Pi and configured it before, this project will be a fun experience. We have tons of tutorials for exploring Raspberry Pi in the Adafruit Learning System
Please note! This is a new project and there may be updates and improvements over time!