Circuit design for sound playing design object
at Eric Forman (Anywhere)
JOB: mini sound player circuit that plays when picked up, including speaker and rechargeable battery. This job post is for circuit design and board layout; if you can do PCB production too, great. If not, it can be outsourced.
This is an art project turned into design object that will be sold at very high visibility locations (to be disclosed after NDA). If done well, will lead to more work.
Deadline: sample by Jan 30, 2013. Production finished by March 1, 2013.
Target price: $7-9/pc PCB+parts
Design fee: TBD
Starting quantity: 150 pcs.
There are many cheap examples of this on the market already, most cost $3-$5 wholesale for electronics alone, e.g. – http://amzn.com/B008OOHHUK – http://dx.com/p/usb-rechargeable-mini-portable-speaker-w-tf-slot-white-3-5mm-dc-5v-44909 – http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=mini+sound+player
I basically need that circuit but with a tilt sensor to turn it on, plus a few other details. It’s pretty simple, the only sticking point is how to get the sound to start playing quickly (ideally under 1 second delay) without battery drain. If that wasn’t an issue I could just stick a tilt sensor on a cheap Chinese sound player, which is what I did for the prototype. However those have a 2.5 second delay which ruins the effect – people think it’s broken and put it down before the sound starts.
The following features are required that come in most of those cheap units:
• Speaker, board, battery 200 mAh Lithium Rechargeable battery
• Charging circuit from micro-USB B
• Internal memory (fixed or microSD)
• Auto-play from power-on
• Resume sound (not start over) from power-on
• Sound loops when done
• Micro-USB cable included
Those units include lots of things I do NOT need, which should lower cost:
• Do not need external casing
• Do not need headphone port
• Do not need powerful speaker (should be very quiet)
• Do not need buttons or controls
• Do not need LED indicators
• Memory can be non-removable if it’s cheaper (64MB min., quote up to 1GB)
• Turns on when picked up (tilt or other sensor, approx 30 degrees)
• Instant start on power-on (up to 1 sec delay acceptable if nec.)
• No annoying click/pop when sound starts
• Must be able to play while charging
• 300-800mAh battery
• No battery drain when off (or more than 3 months charge hold if not used)
• Factory set specified volume, with internal trimpot
• Short micro-USB cable (15-25cm), green or white
• Product Lifespan: 5 years minimum
Optional feature if possible:
• Memory mounts as drive (via micro USB)
• Only special audio files work (custom extension or codec)
These features can be altered only if price or functionality becomes an issue:
• Standby instead of power-off to speed up sound response: 30 minutes after last use
• Sound format can be uncompressed (no MP3/ogg decoding circuitry necessary)
NOTE: please take note of the size and target materials price. Do not respond to this ad if you are thinking about an Arduino and a WaveShield!