Product Development Lead
at Driptech, inc. in Pune, India
Come join Driptech, a for-profit, socially-minded, high-visibility startup named by BusinessWeek
as one of the world’s most intriguing new companies, and voted by its readers as one of the top
5 most promising social ventures in America.
Driptech is laser-focused on making affordable irrigation technologies for small-plot farmers in
developing countries. Our early-stage, privately-funded, Mountain View, CA based venture is
scaling up for high-volume commercial roll-outs in India and China. By joining the Driptech
team you will be part of a compelling social venture that aims to produce a global impact.
Driptech is seeking an enthusiastic and highly capable Product Development Lead, based in our
India office. This position requires the ability and desire to lead Driptech’s product development
efforts for our affordable irrigation systems. It will require demonstrated design skills,
engineering and manufacturing experience, and participation at all phases of product
development process. It will require some project management, and the initiative to creatively
solve unexpected challenges.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for developing systems designed for extreme
affordability, and experience in agriculture, preferably in regions of economic development. The
position requires a proactive, dedicated, and hardworking mentality, and the ability to work
1. Lead new product development efforts for affordable irrigation equipment and accessories.
2. Perform needfinding, and on-site customer observations in a number of agricultural
communities in India.
3. Distill insights from field research and customer feedback. Propose product development
initiatives based on these insights.
4. Engage technical development team in translating customer needs into engineering
requirements and metrics.
5. Design, develop, and test new components for affordable irrigation systems, including
tubing, fittings, fertilizer equipment, pumps, water storage systems, and other installation
6. Develop CAD, prototype ideas, and coordinate design efforts with the technical development
team in California, and the operations team in China.
7. Work with external designers and engineers when necessary.
8. Spread design thinking among Driptech team-members, particularly in areas of needfinding,
points of view, brainstorming, and hands-on prototyping.
9. Oversee and manage product development fellows and/or interns.
10. Work closely under the Director of Engineering and with the India Product Manager on a
variety of tasks and projects.
Background and Skills:
1. Ability to work out of the Driptech office in India.
2. Availability to travel to California and China 30% of the time.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills.
4. MS in mechanical engineering, product design, or closely related field.
5. 3+ years of design experience.
6. Excellent communication skills: verbal, written, sketched, and documented.
7. A portfolio demonstrating successful delivery of affordable and appropriate solutions, and
participation at many stages of the design process.
8. Design For Manufacturability, and experience with high volume manufacturing methods.
1. Experience living and traveling independently abroad.
2. Prior experience in India.
3. Indian language capabilities.
4. A passion for addressing the needs of small-plot farmers
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] with Product
Development Lead in the subject. We will be accepting application through June 30, 2011.
Recent jobs at Driptech, inc.