Tweet-a-Watt starter pack
Tweet-a-Watt is a DIY wireless power monitoring system. The project uses an 'off the shelf' power monitor called the Kill-a-Watt and adds wireless reporting. Each plug transmits the power usage at that outlet to a central computer receiver. The receiver can then log, graph and report the data. This pack contains nearly everything* necessary to build a single outlet monitor and receiver. To monitor additional outlets, you will need an add-on transmitter pack. One outlet can monitor up to 1500 Watts.
The starter pack contains:
- 2 XBee Series 1 modules (one for receiver, one for transmitter)
- 2 XBee adapter kits (ditto)
- 1 USB FTDI cable (for updating, configuring and receiving data from XBee)
- 1 bag of parts including:
- -10,000uF capacitor
- -220uF capacitor
- -2 1% 10K resistors
- -2 1% 4.7K resistors
- -5mm green LED
- -6" rainbow ribbon cable
- -2 pieces of 1/8" heatshrink
- -2 pieces of 1/16" heatshrink
* Please note, a P3 Kill-a-Watt is NOT included! You will need to buy this separately at a local hardware store, or online. They run about $20 each. You'll also need some tools, which are not included. The kit is unassembled, and requires some light soldering to piece together. It is a moderate/advanced project and is intended for people with electronics & computer experience and are comfortable working around High Voltages
For a lot more information, including instructions and files please check out the very detailed website!
MAY WE ALSO SUGGEST...
MAY WE ALSO SUGGEST...-
See our Distributors page for a complete list of distributors.