Answering your "How to get help!" protocol questions:
1. KIT or DIY: I have built the USBtiny from your Adafruit kit.
2. WHAT OS: I am using a WinXP desltop (and I also tried a Win7 laptop).
3. What PROGRAMMING S/W: I have WinAVR-20100110 loaded (on both the WinXP machine and Win7 laptop), but I never got that far. No green light on the programmer and no USB recognition of any device. The USB ports work fine with a flash drive so they are functional.
4. DID IT EVER WORK, AND IS THIS FIRST TIME USE: Yes, this is my first attempt. It has never worked once.
5. POST SCREENSHOTS: I never got this far - no screenshots to post.
6. POST PHOTOS: I am attaching 2 photos, one front and one back.
After carefully assembling and double-checking orientation of key parts (electrolytic capacitor, ICs, LEDs) the device is not working and appears dead. I socketed both ICs.
When I plug in the USB cable, I see NO GREEN LIGHT. There is no WinXP response at all, and Win7 has no response either. Nothing. Neither sees the device. I tried multiple USB cables and USB ports on both PCs (one WinXP and one Win7 laptop), all with the same result.
I see 5V from the USB cable present on the board from VCC to GND.
I performed continuity checks around the board, and all looks nominal as far as wiring goes. I even checked the continuity from each IC pin through the socket to the underside of the circuit board, and all looks good. The electrolytic capacitor + pin is oriented correctly. I see no bad solder joints.