I'll fix that section of the tutorial
OK Rick! Now Version 2 works with the change: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum = 1)
I think the problem was the option of (busnum = 0) or (busnum = 1) was never in the code in the first place.
Just this: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate()
And Version 1 never needed either option explicitly. All that was necessary was: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate()
But Version 2 needed this: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum = 1)
I think I tried the option (busnum = 1) once, but must have had a typo. Thus, nothing happened.
Sorry I got a bit uptight. I think no one else saw the error, or if they did, just corrected it and didn't tell anyone. This is not good.
If someone wants to help, he or she should identify the confusion for others who are not as experienced. That's me.
OK, now I have an extra RPi in trhe mail!