Workmanship?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chiphappy

Workmanship?

Post by chiphappy »

I ordered a BBB on Dec. 13 and received an A6 a few days later. Connection via USB was OK and could run Bonescript and Cloud 9 from the browser, but SSH connections were refused. Borrowed a friend's BBB A5 and SSH worked fine. So I flashed the latest Angstrom image onto my A6 and that solved the problem.

However, in the course of looking over the A6 carefully I found a badly-soldered part. It's D7, one of two IP4283CZ10-TT TVS's protecting HDMI lines TX0 and TX1. The chip is rotated such that pins 6-9 are soldered to the pads for pins 7-10 and pin 10 is not soldered (see attached image). Since pins 1-5 are soldered correctly the chip should be OK for protection the HDMI lines; pin 8 is a redundant ground connection and otherwise pins 6-10 are NoConnects in the schematic. However, I wonder if there are many other BBB's out there with obvious assembly problems.
Attachments
Image courtesy of Adafruit's excellent USB microscope!
Image courtesy of Adafruit's excellent USB microscope!
BBB_badD7_closeup2.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Soldering problem D7
Soldering problem D7
BBB_badD7.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 775 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Workmanship?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You might want to bring this to the attention of the Beagle Bone folks at : http://beagleboard.org/Support/Hardware%20Support
By their request, all returns must be handled via http://beagleboard.org/Support/RMA

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

I don't have a microscope, but the chips on my BBB are soldered on correctly as far as I can tell. I've been able to ssh and sftp from Linux and Windows. I found there were some problems with Cloud 9 in IE and Chrome on Windows, but they work fine in Firefox on Linux. I think my Windows problems are caused by security settings on my laptop. I was able to set up Eclipse in both Linux and Windows and have compiled and deployed C++ programs from both platforms. The remote systems plugin works on both platforms allowing me to connect to my BBB from within Eclipse. I'm very happy and impressed so far.

prpplague

Post by prpplague »

ChipHappy:

all of the surface mounted components are done with pick-n-place machine so they are usually very accurate, however all boards are inspected with "Automated Optical Inspection". you can see the process here http://youtu.be/FcqQvH41OR4 . with this in mind the inspection process is programmed in using a "golden board", but there are circumstances which might cause a false positive acceptance on the boards. we inspected approximately 500 boards by hand for this specific issues and didn't find any duplication of this assembly failure, however we are adding an additional check in the the AOI for this IC to make sure it is applied properly.

we will be happy to exchange you board at not cost to you. please contact [email protected] to initiate the process.

thanks
Dave

scotteh

Post by scotteh »

Thumbs up for making this right! You just affirmed my decision to start learning on a Beaglebone.

Scott

dtownmaker

Post by dtownmaker »

prpplague wrote:ChipHappy:
we will be happy to exchange you board at not cost to you. please contact [email protected] to initiate the process.
thanks
Dave
Picked up a BBB at my local RShack last night due to the sales associate's high praise (went in to buy a Pi). Glad to see this level of service! I need to thank that RS guy next time I see him.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”