Arduino UNO upload issues

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
razor95kds

Arduino UNO upload issues

Post by razor95kds »

I am having problems uploading sketches to my Arduino UNO board. Right now it gives the error "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" and when I shift +click upload it gives 'avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"'

I have been able to upload a variety of sketches to this board up until this morning where after several successful uploads, the error started to occur on every attempt after. I believe my cable is fine since I can still upload to my other UNO board, but switching ports and computers for the first board
results in the same error every time.

When attempting to upload, the RX and TX lights blink and the LED13 light blinks when I hit reset.

How do I go about fixing this?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino UNO upload issues

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

when I shift +click upload it gives 'avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"'
When attempting to upload, the RX and TX lights blink
The first error indicates that it did not recognize the device as a USB/Serial port. If that is the case then it wouldn't be transmitting and Rx and Tx shouldn't be blinking.
Can you confirm that both of those are true for the same upload attempt?

razor95kds

Post by razor95kds »

Yup both lights are blinking. Also I know the previous sketch is a modified example code for the thermocouple to output to the serial monitor and the board does transmit to the monitor successfully and the TX light blinks during this too.

adafruit_support_bill

What OS are you using? Can you check to see if it has recognized that the UNO has been plugged in?

razor95kds

Post by razor95kds »

Im using windows 7. Under ports its listed as COM4, I reinstalled the drivers too and the board shows up as Arduino UNO before I install the drivers.

As for the blinking, Im looking at it again and its more of really rapid flickering between RX and TX during the upload attempt. Im not sure what the blinking is suppose to look like.

adafruit_support_bill

During an upload, you should see both Rx and Tx flickering. The Rx is the code coming down. The Tx is an acknowledgement of each block of code.

Given that, I would expect you to be seeing a LOT more output in the diagnostic window if you hold the shift key down while uploading.

razor95kds

Post by razor95kds »

The progress bar for uploading makes it all the way to end before spitting out the error. Maybe something went bad in the chip?

adafruit_support_bill

If you hold the shift key down, the diagnostic output should show exactly what went wrong. If you are seeing Rx/Tx activity, there should be a LOT more information than the one line error message.

razor95kds

Post by razor95kds »

I still get just the one line error so I dont know what to do about this issue anymore.

adafruit_support_bill

Normally this should show every byte transmitted and received by the IDE. If the Tx and Rx are flashing and nothing is printed, there must be some problem with the IDE.

Another thing to try is to open File->Preferences and check "Show verbose output during Upload".

razor95kds

Post by razor95kds »

now I get

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\K\Downloads\arduino-1.0.1-windows\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \\.\COM7
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv: . [00]
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

and with shift

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\K\Downloads\arduino-1.0.1-windows\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

adafruit_support_bill

Strange. Shift should give you the same output. But in any case, it shows that 3 bytes are being transmitted and nothing is being received. This does not correlate with both Tx and Rx leds flashing. Do you have anything connected to digital pins 0 and 1?

westfw

Post by westfw »

Shift should give you the same output.
In Arduino 1.0 and later, shift-upload means "upload using device programmer" instead of "upload using bootloader with verbose output." To get verbose output, there is now an option you can set in the "preferences" dialog.

adafruit_support_bill

Thanks westfw. I knew about the new preferences option, but I wasn't aware of the change in the shift key semantics.

razor95kds

Post by razor95kds »

adafruit_support wrote:Strange. Shift should give you the same output. But in any case, it shows that 3 bytes are being transmitted and nothing is being received. This does not correlate with both Tx and Rx leds flashing. Do you have anything connected to digital pins 0 and 1?

I do have things connected to digital 0 and 1. Im guessing this might be why the lights are blinking as I now see the rx and tx are labeled for digital 0 and 1. Does this mean I cant have anything connected to those pins like a thermocouple if I want to use the serial monitor?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”