I don't want to take up too much space, so I'll just use this thread for a question completely unrelated to the LED indicator.
I got all the parts and set them up on a breadboard before soldering them together. It charges my samsung galaxy S just fine, and I have yet to test it out on any apple devices. The problem is when I have current running through the IC, it gets progressively hotter. I brought it up almost hot enough to burn me but took the batteries out in fear of it getting damaged. Is it normal to get this hot? nothing else seems to be doing this, just the IC. I ordered two of them so I tried the second and it's the same story. Everything seems to be wired correctly.
I'm using fully charged Eneloop batteries, and the power pins on the usb end are giving 4.94V.