March 26, 2013 AT 1:00 am

ABS-Boost (waterproof casing) for the Adafruit MintyBoost!

ABS Boost Inside

Check out this awesome waterproof MintyBoost enclosure project built by Adafruit community member “IthinkIunderstand” on the Adafruit Forums!

Just thought i would share my first MintyBoost kit. I do a lot of biking and hiking and wanted something a little more rugged than the standard metal case. So i dug out the plumbing fittings and made a nice little waterproof version. Of course, we always realize a better way to build something AFTER we’ve built the first one. If i were to do this again, i would have a cable directly soldered to the board and coming out of a waterproof grommet somewhere on the cylinder. I would leave enough of the cable inside so that changing the batteries would simply mean unscrewing the cap and sliding out the unit, batteries first, and switching out the double A’s. That way you could just plug it in without opening it up.

This thing is made with 1 1/2 inch plumbing pieces which is common in any hardware store. The pictures are deceiving, but the length is roughly 135mm or 5 1/4 inches. If i had changed the size of the Lexan the batteries and board are sitting on i might have been able to add a set of spare batteries inside as a backup. This thing could be made to fit inside a 1 1/4inch pipe also, but it would be tight.

Another version of this would be to put it inside a plastic case for outdoor electrical. There would be room for a lipo battery and the charging circuit, including something solar. Look in the section where they keep all that gray plastic electrical conduit stuff.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Read more.

Really awesome project!

ABS Boost Parts

Related

3 Comments

  1. Nice case.

    With that much air volume, it almost certainly floats too. So you could use it around boats.

  2. If the case is large enough I would add a third AA cell. I’ve built two minty boost kits for my daughters and both of them had the same issue while charging their phones….the batteries got “red hot” (enough to burn your skin) before the phone completed charging. I found a larger mint tin to house the unit and added a third AA cell and an on/off switch. This stopped the “AA China Syndrome” and the phones get completely charged. BTW we were using Duracells and the phones were Samsung Androids.

  3. That’s pretty neat! I like the idea!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.