Please be aware of all shipping deadlines before placing your order - we cannot guarantee orders will arrive before Christmas!

June 4, 2010 AT 7:53 pm

Air duster as cleaning solvent

Nice tip from Jeri – The semiconductor industry has been using freon style solvents for years, a similar process can be used to clean pinball machine parts (and likely other things).


Check out all the Circuit Playground Episodes! Our new kid’s show and subscribe!

Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.

Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!

Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground”Adafruit’s Apps!



6 Comments

  1. 3M i believe adds a bittering agent to the stuff so as she said it deters people from huffing the stuff.

  2. Interesting. I’ll have to try that. Would the dirt and dust evaporate with it, after it dissolves? It sounded like that’s what she said, but it seems like it would form a precipitant that would be left behind.

  3. I wonder if butane or propane would work as solvents too. They are certainly a lot cheaper, and come out liquid if you dispense them upside-down! Great idea, Jeri! You rock.

    Another good but room-temperature solvent for getting grease off delicate parts and even getting dark oil and grease stains out of black shirts is old-school dry cleaning fluid…banned in California, but still available at any auto parts store as electrical contact cleaner. It can also be mixed with wax to adjust its specific gravity all the way down to 1.5 so it sinks in water and you can make your own lava lamps!

  4. The dirt isn’t evaporating but it’s probably dissolving into the solvent and being blown away with the force of spray.

  5. echoskope is correct. The awful smell comes from a bittering agent they add to the stuff to keep kids from huffing it.

  6. Be careful of this stuff, R152a aka difluoroethane when burned creates hydrogen fluoride gas which is pretty toxic and really nasty. I had an accident with a flame and ended up breathing some of it. It created this extreme tingling sensation I would describe it as inhaling liquid sulfuric acid. It was not pretty, I cannot stress this enough be careful with flames around R152a.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.