February 16, 2007 AT 5:02 am

You have defeated IE6! You gain 12 EXP and 4 GOLD!

I finally got around to rewriting the flickrnotes code i wrote to support IE6/7 as well as overlib. Ironically, as a side effect, I had to do this funky opacity thing because in IE you cant have onMouseOver() on an ‘empty’ DIV or SPAN tag unless it has a background color. However, background colors with opacity work just fine.
Hence:


One could always just keep the Opacity 0% and mess with outlines but i kinda got to liking this look.

Download it here (and rename it to a .php) you will need overlib.js (4.21 is what i use) installed too. An example page is here, read the source for an example.


Check out all the Circuit Playground Episodes! Our new kid’s show and subscribe!

Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.

Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!

Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground”Adafruit’s Apps!



3 Comments

  1. Awesome code/hack. I made two small refinements though.

    1) flickr seems to return empty width/height values for images. This breaks IE :(
    The line “$img .= ‘‘;” needs to change to “$img .= ‘‘;”
    I noticed you made this change to the code you’re actually running… otherwise I wouldn’t have figured it out.

    2) flickr notes with a single-quote (‘) in them break. The “$boxes .= ….” line needs a double call to addslashes() around “$note['text']“, like so: “addslashes(addslashes($note['text']))”.

    I also blogged about integrating it into Markdown: http://spiffie.org/computing/archives/2008/02/markdown_and_fl.html

  2. Thanks for making your code available. I tried putting the flickrnotes.php file and overlib.js file on my server but it doesn’t seem to work. I have included overlib.js in the header. Interestingly enough, when I call the flickrnotes.php hosted on your server, it works!

    I’ve hacked it into a WordPress plugin so that you just type [flickr:#photoID] and it will replace it to the for you but right now, it’s making the call to http://ladyada.net/flickrnotes.php for it to work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks for the great site!

  3. Yay! Thanks for laying down the groundwork with your code. I’ve hacked it well enough to work now running on my own webserver. Seems there were some changes from your posted flickrnotes.php from your current http://ladyada.net/flickrnotes.php

    Converting the text strings to have escape characters and remove line breaks was the trickiest part ;) But now it seems to be working swell!

    I’ve added some functionality like also displaying the TItle and Description meta from the flickr photo. Also managed to hack a way to just type ‘[flickr:FLICKRPHOTOID]” in my WordPress post and have it change it to the Javascript automatically for me.

    Thanks again!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.